What is the difference between Osteopathy and Physiotherapy?

I want to understand better before I choose a therapy for my back pain.

Similar schools of thought but with a slightly different practical approach. Both will evaluate the MSK system using passive and active techniques mixed in with special tests to diagnose the condition/structure.

Osteopathy primarily uses manual techniques (manipulation, articulation, soft tissue, MET, stretching, ect) with exercise adjunct where as physiotherapy is more exercise based but may also utilise some manual work.

Having said that, there is quite a lot of overlap now days and an osteopath might use more exercise techniques and a physio might use more manual techniques. Depends on the practitioners training, areas of interest, own research for valued techniques. Also might be worth noting that osteopathy is considered to have a more holistic approach (looking more broadly away from the area of pain to diagnose and treat the issue) but I imagine a good physio will do this too.

There is no hard and fast rule for which is right for you. The NICE guidelines recommend manual therapy for lower back but they’re all good and I think finding the right practitioner might be more important than the right therapy type.

1 Like

Osteo means bones, Pathy means disease. Osteopaths can do joint manipulation, soft tissue manipulation, and is more hands on. They can treat soft tissue injuries too. They can do Visceral (diaphragm, stomach, internal organs. manipulation too.
Can help with TMJ amongst many conditions.

A physiotherapist deals with therapy through movement of the body. So this is Rehabilitation exercise, from people who have had strokes, to lungs issues, adrenal issues, endocrine issues, Some Physios are also hands on.

1 Like

Healthcareers.nhs.uk has a much better definition of Osteopathy under the Allied Health Professionals section imo. NHS.com unfortunately provides an outdated and view of osteopathy not reflective of current training and evidence based practice.

2 Likes